Saving the Planet: US Catholics join pope in press for more ambitious climate action at COP23 Read all of NCR's environmental coverage here: for news and here for commentary.
There's only two things for certain: Death and that Republicans think tax cuts solve all problems. Here's what I've been reading:
- House passes GOP tax bill, upping pressure on struggling Senate effort
- Senate panel approves GOP tax plan So far, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is the only GOP senator who has come out against the bill.
- What impact will eliminating individual mandate have on uninsured, deficit?
- Commonweal editorial: The Rich Keep Themselves Rich And It’s Just the Way the World Works?
NCR Today blogger Mario T. Garcia is Questioning the motives, morality of Washington's Republicans
Tea Party Gov. Scott Walker won fame for breaking public sector unions. This is what he wrought: Here's what happened to teachers after Wisconsin gutted its unions Teachers have seen lower pay, reduced pension and health insurance benefits and higher turnover as educators hop from one district to another in search of raises.
Speaking of schools, look what's happening in Arizona: The Libre Initiatve — an advocacy group funded by the billionaire conservative Koch Brothers — is launching an education effort in Arizona aimed at Hispanics. The aim? To lure families away from neighborhood public schools and into for-profit, private school voucher schemes or is it to empower families with the ability to select the best options for their children."
The Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity founded in 1885 Silver Lake College, based in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, has adopted the "earning while learning" method last year, making it the only Catholic work college in the United States.
Capuchin Fr. Solanus Casey will be beatified in Detroit Saturday. He has been described as the "go-to" guy for those who were sick, poor, afflicted or discouraged in their faith.
- Love causing light to rise: Remembering Fr. Solanus Casey, being beatified
- Detroit Catholics at 'fever pitch' over beatification of Fr. Casey
Q & A with Sr. Kathleen Schipani: Teaching deaf children to pray in sign language.
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.