The four-year, nationwide consultations with the Hispanic Catholic community will culminate at the national V Encuentro Sept. 20-23 in Grapevine, Texas, as delegates from around the United States gather to form a collective, Hispanic Catholic voice — one that will be imperative to the future of the church.
On the show today:
- Soli Salgado, staff writer for Global Sisters Report, often covering issues related to Hispanic communities and social justice.
- A recent consultation report shows that there are 23,000 U.S.-born Hispanic Catholics for every U.S.-born Hispanic priest, and that 55 percent of Catholics younger than 14 are Hispanic.
- The encuentro gathering for the Archdiocese of Portland, Oregon, held in January 2018, offered a new urgency as attendees discussed the need for evangelization and invitation to make one church among Anglo and Latino congregants.
- Festive moments and open dialogue mixed with concrete goal-setting and strong calls to embrace those in need marked the Los Angeles Archdiocese's V Encuentro — a daylong gathering Jan. 27 of Hispanic leaders in the nation's largest and most concentrated population of Latino Catholics.
- Emerging themes at the regional Midwest V Encuentro included validation of small faith groups and the need for leadership development.
- Of the New York Archdiocese's 2.8 million Catholics, an estimated one-third to one-half of the people are of Latino background. At the archdiocese's encuentro, attendees talked about keeping Catholic Latinos interested as the key to the church's future.
- NCR covers the Hispanic Catholic church in our feature series La Iglesia Hispana.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here's the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.